Episode 3: How Much Do You Really Make From Just Your Artwork?Nov 14, 2022
In Episode 1 I vulnerably shared my business revenue from the last 13 years. But many people ask how much I make from art licensing alone.
The really cool thing about art licensing is that it works for you—
meaning it will work for you no matter where you are in your life,
no matter where you are in the world.
Many of you also want to know if you can only design and make a living from it. In this episode, I’m going to be completely transparent about my overall licensing income alone—but you also need to know that I haven’t pursued licensing my own work in the last few years, though I’m working on a new portfolio right now. In this episode, we’ll discuss what art licensing is, how licensing builds over time, and playing the long game. You’ll hear my personal story, but I hope you’ll also learn what’s possible for you.
Discussed in this episode:
- What art licensing is: Letting a brand or company use your artwork in a specific industry for a specific amount of time for a specific payment to you (generally royalties).
- One piece of art can live on and on! When you create a piece of artwork you can monetize it and it can generate income for years to come.
- Playing the long game—It can be slow to get started, but things start to snowball once you do.
- It is possible to hit 6 figures from art licensing alone, but you’ll likely build additional income streams as you go.
- Licensing can ebb and flow with your life. You can pitch more when you have time, and pull back when you’re busier eleven as current licenses still generate revenue.
Resources & Links
Review of the week
This is going to SO fun (and incredibly useful!)
I've been a fan of Bonnie's for over seven years, following along with her as she shares how to do this creative life in the way that works for me (and you.) So excited that she's launching a podcast to give us more of her creative juice. Thanks, Bonnie! (and you're gonna want to tune in. . .just sayin’.
Email me episodes
Never miss an episode!
Sign up to get our weekly podcast update with new episodes, show notes and episode freebies!
We honor your email. <3 We will never sell your information, for any reason.